Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I'll play this God damn game on Rt. 17... or will we??

Thinking back the other day to our game against the Gas House Gorillas, something really grind-ed my gears. You want to know what really grind-ed my gears? Well I will tell you anyways, if you want to hear it or not.....
I have dealt with a lot of kids in my short lifetime as a mentor, coach, even a teacher and I think that some of those kids might have a knack that many of us do not have; it might seem so minuscule but it is such a huge part of the game, not only in high arc softball but in life. I believe that playing sports really gets you prepared for life. Life is a sport, you can get knocked down but you gotta get up again, something unexpectedly might happen, how are you going to react? You gonna keep your head down with your tail between your legs or are you going to fight back? Your reaction, what you do on the spot will show the average bystander, fan and colleague your character. How much character does this person have? Everyone in life looks for this... your high school coach, college coach, professional coach and even your boss. They want to know one thing! How MENTALLY TOUGH is this person? If I was that average fan watching the game the other day I would not know what to think of The Doolies but from past experience I can tell you we are not that tough.
If we do not score in the bottom of the second, I get the feeling that a lot of people on the squad would have started to get frustrated. Here comes the glove throwing, yelling at the first base ump on any close call and then there would have been a lot of finger pointing among the team. Gos was not there so who would everyone have blamed for this? Great question! Only time will tell. Too many times throughout the years I have noticed that when we are down a few people on the team start to pout and that takes them out of their game. Something we need to work on (and it is obviously not easy) is staying up throughout the game, winning or losing. If we are down then we have gotta crank it up that much more. Lets stop focusing on players such as E Gos on the other team cause we all know, he was in most of our heads! The day E Gos is in my head is the day I am going to get my head checked out! And I do not plan on getting my head checked out any time soon! I am more worried about certain individuals such as Uncle Andy or DeFreese, thats it.. well maybe some individuals on the B-Team and Bombers. Let me grade out each individual on how mentally tough I think they are with a short sentence explaining my grading... Grading is based on what I know about the certain individual in life and possibly on on sports team.

Ma$e: B, longest tenured worker with John as his boss.
Josh: B, cried twice in athletics, once down in Toms River and once after fumbling the game away against Kean. Three career rings.
G: C, Do not think I have shared tears with this kid but have seen tears throughout the years with many glove throws. Still not sure if Detective Koch dished out his PBA after draining five threes vs. Bergenfield.
Ryan: D, Stepped up huge during the Green Raiders state championship run his junior year. Easily taken out of his game on Sundays. Hardest hitting safety in NBIAL history.
Nicky: B, I could not imagine taking the grief that the beans has taken throughout his years of being beans but also being a Mets and Jets fan. Lasted at Bendover Catholic for four years.
Brian T: A, If your father is Greg Toal Sr. and your still living then you have made it.
Sam: B, I have seen him throw down which definitely earned my respect! Huge plays in the field starting two years ago.
John: F, sorry pal but when you get out you cannot act like your life is over! Lasted four years at BC.
Mike: B, Worst umpire in league history but brushes it off like a true officer should do! Great example sir! Still stood in there when Scilleri was cruising around the edge.
Mark: C, Seen him at the blakjack table conceive a loss before the cards were even pulled outta the shoe. Escaped failure because he got arrested for assault last summer and has fight outside Duffy's in previous summers.
Drew: D, Still blames Coach Toal for ruining his sports career. Stepped up dramatically to save The Doolies franchise from past playoff failures.


23 comments:

  1. Also, hiding your name like that doesn't do anything, you know this right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only F? what the hell am i getting bang on this thing for? totally unwarranted, fuck you guys

    ReplyDelete
  3. went by last weeks lineup. Gos.. see germinario, thats ur grade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "________" follows another blog called "please get better, acl" written by a 28 year old named Jared. Just a hint.

    ReplyDelete
  5. *Yea Germ let him have it!!!! I like your fire.....
    ** Speaking of fire this blog is hot with excitement and we are going into a bye week
    *** I hope everyone enjoys the bye week except anonymous who is banned from the blog.
    **** And mailly can you please respond to this post and let me know if I am on for beer for next week or if you are?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll bring the beers if thats the way we are doing it, its never been that way before though. I would say I have the most career strikeouts on this GREAT team, probably by a long-shot, but no one, including myself, has ever been made to bring the beers in the aftermath of the embarrassment. If the team wants it, the team shall have it. So, Doolies, YOU let ME know!

    - Tonto -

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way I have a 30 coming to me from E Gos for the victory we earned, as a team, on the 23rd. Number 1-6, you'll be the first to know when I hear if E has been able to save enough bread to afford that. At least that can help cut down on the amount you need to pony up and buy on your own!

    PS - I hope somebody strikes out the week before I gotta bring the beers so I can get a little help too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The strikeout beer rule is definately old school, sounds like something DOA or even those old Sharks that were watching the first half of our game. I see no reason for us to carry out such a dumb tradition. I'm not opposed to creating our own rule for strikeout discipline, any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  9. yea i agree that definitely sounds like some gay DOA rule for sure!!! I think we need to make our own rule for strikeouts!!! Any ideas??? Maybe something like your not aloud to have a beer the next game? I don't know that sounds gay too! Lets hear some chatter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.northjersey.com/sports/94899574_Bosco_escapes__headed_to_semis.html Like I have said before its all about the Ws!

    ReplyDelete
  11. not being allowed to drink at one of these games is wayyyyy tooo brutal of a punishment

    ReplyDelete
  12. Although if you couldn't drink at the game, you could always show up banged up like someone I know.

    By the way, the more and more I read this post, the more fucked up it is. Not really funny or cool.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not allowed to drink is brutal...
    I say stick to the beer list and if you strikeout you brings wings or some kind of international food dish or baked goods.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good idea, so Tonto next game why dont you bring chimichangas and brownies

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that if you strike out that you should have to pay chicks from the Goose to come to the next game and cheer for us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the food and baked goods like willy not or baked goods like chach stated.... I say sushi anc chocolate chip cookies.....Hmmmm what else Beer Cheddar is always a viable option!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay so in summary a strikeout now officially invokes the right of the Doolies to demand some type of food or baked good. Subsection: if the player who strikes out provides a "signature dish" they are given a get out of jail free card for their next strikeout. Acceptable Signature DIshes include, but are not limited to; Mikes Pastries cannolis (Boston), Jimmy Geez wings (Haledon), Bojangles fried chicken (NC), Patsies Pizza (Ptown), Nonna & Cicci's prosciutto/capicola platter (Siragusa Sicily), B&W Bakery coffee cake (Hackensack), etc. This rule will benefit habitual strike out victims and is officially making me hungry, feel free to suggest other signature dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. one of the seven fishes, preferably BACALA!

    ReplyDelete
  19. make anyone who strikes out play in a skirt for the next game!

    ReplyDelete
  20. other suggestions: Jersey Mike's Sub platter (Scattered throughout NJ), La Strada Sub Platter (G's home town Congrats and Cheers G!!!) Chicken and Rib Crib obviously chicken and ribs (Hawthorne Marco will deliver for you) Chicken Wings from Cluck U (Hoboken) A doolies cake from the Cake Boss (Hoboken) .....anything from the dollar menu from Wendys McDonalds and Bugger King....(minimal 30 sandwiches) nellies or kinchleys u know the drill there!!!! thats all for now folks!

    ReplyDelete